Monday, July 4, 2011

Begin Again...

I've been thinking a lot about life lately... 

First off, thanks for all of your sweet comments (and emails, tweets, etc) about my little cry sesh at work. As silly as it sounds I think everyone should have to work in a service industry (especially food/beverage) for at least a week. Just one week would totally change their attitude about how they treat others. Most of the time they may not even realize they're doing it. The best dating advice I ever received: Never date anyone who is rude to his/her sever. That's how they'll treat you in 6 months! Someone on Tumblr said it better than I could have... they said that sometimes people just dehumanize us when they're being served. It's so very true. Ever since taking my job bartending when I was 18, I've made a conscious effort to try and tip well (or even over-tip)... even when the service is less than perfect. I've never worked in a restaurant setting as a server. I can't imagine the hustle and bustle of trying to remember everything. I applaud each and every one of you who work in settings like that. 

My little upset-schpeal wasn't brought on just by the lack of tipping or the incredibly rude crowd that was there Friday night. Instead, it was a culmination of various events and feelings that just sort of happened. My ABC license (to bartend) expired a few days ago. Five years. I have been there over five years already. (Five years, one month, and three weeks actually). I never in a million years thought I'd stay that long. Even the other bartender Angie made me promise to get the heck out of dodge when I graduated college. I'm not at a place where I can quit yet. It may only be 10 hours a week but it provides job security, earnings of more than a 40 hour a week job, and it affords me the entire work week to do things I actually do love. I get to blog, work on my shoppe, read business books and formulate a real business plan. Just knowing that I have to go get re-certified is sort of a slap in the face because I never intended on being there this long. Here I am with a college degree and I'm serving alcohol 10 hours a week. It was sort of a wake up call. I hadn't been happy with my work situation for quite a while. I don't mind the job itself, I love my co-workers, and I try not to complain too much because I know that I'm very fortunate to have the job that I do (especially in this economy). But no amount of money or spare time is going to give me the happiness that I seek professionally. I know exactly what I want to do, and I'm working on a plan to get there. That's something that I can't wait to share with you all. You've been so supportive all along and I hope that this is something that you'll experience with me. 

()

I've felt loads better about the whole thing because as soon as I woke up Saturday morning I started thinking of what actions I needed to take to get where I want to go. My brain has been a'buzz with so much clamor and commotion since then. The inspiring kind! Friday night was a revelation of sorts. I think I'd rather struggle for a little while trying to make my dream job come to life than to sit back and watch it all pass by so I can work 10 hours a week. The (semi)formal business plan writing starts today! I'm fortunate to come from a family of entrepreneurs and business-minded people. I plan to seek each and every one of their advice, guidance and opinions. With a notebook full of ideas, I'm going to read and re-read every business book I have available and I'm going to stop waiting for the right time to show up. This whole time I've had the mentality of "Oh in the future..." or "someday..." I'm over it. Today is someday, right?! Why not! I don't want to look at the weekend as something I dread because I have to go to a job that is less than fulfilling. I want to look at it as a high traffic opportunity to share my dream with others and to bring true pride to my life. Even my freelance graphic design work isn't bringing me the feeling I had hoped for. So I'll try and try again! I'll work at it until I get it right! I hope that if you find yourself in a position that you're less than happy about, you don't just sit on the sidelines and let it continue. Before you know it you will have lost so much time. Even if your current situation only allots you two hours a week to scheme and dream, do it! Use those two hours for everything you can. No more reserved Kaelah! Who's with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...