Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day! "Eff Yeah, Girl Power!"

It's been quiet around these parts, but I can promise there is a whole slew of amazing reasons why. Don't worry! I'll get to those soon! For now, let's focus on Girl Power, shall we?! I'm not sure how many of you are aware that today marks the 100th Anniversary of International Women's Day, but it does! It's true! In 1908, 15,000 women took charge and marched through New York City while demanding shorter hours, better pay, and voting rights. Then in 1911, International Women's Day was recognized for the first time in several countries! Sadly only a week later, the Triangle Fire of NYC took the lives of over 140 female workers. This drew an incredible amount of attention to labor laws and practices, and women began to rally with a fervor in hopes of establishing equal rights.

If you've read the blog lately then you'll know that I was presented with an absolutely incredible opportunity to fly to New York City and take part in Levi's partnership with Vogue to bring the IWD 2011 Celebration to the SoHo House. I tweeted on behalf of Levi's Shape What To Come Campaign and I had a blast, to say the very least! I'll definitely be going into more detail about that later this week!

Right now I want to share some "eff yeah, girl positive" quotes and inspirations that I've come across! I get several emails a week asking for more quote posts like I used to do, yet no one really asks for anything specific so here you go! Here are some rad words to make you want to go high-five your best lady friend and say "heck yeah!" to being a woman!



Despite the fact that half of the world's population is female, women's rights have become marginalized as a "minority issue." Many young women feel that the label of "feminist" is, at best, irrelevant to their lives and, at worst, a stigma to be avoided at all costs. Sullied by stereotypes of hairy, arm-pitted man haters, the concept of feminism and its principles of equality and anti-sexism need to be refreshed and reclaimed by a new generation. Feminism shouldn't be an F word. We should embrace it. ~Annie Lennox


The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power.  You just take it.  ~Roseanne Barr


Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.  ~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler


I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.  ~Anaïs Nin


You don't have to be anti-man to be pro-woman.  ~Jane Galvin Lewis


No woman is required to build the world by destroying herself.  ~Rabbi Sofer


One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man.  ~Marlo Thomas


Women are not inherently passive or peaceful.  We're not inherently anything but human.  ~Robin Morgan


♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

With that being said, I wanted to touch base on something. It may be a bit "controversial" of me to say here on the blog, but sometimes just putting it out there is good for everyone involved. I've noticed a lot of "lady hate" lately... between our own gender. Some things that saddened me today were tweets about International Women's Day not being a big deal and that we basically shouldn't keep pushing for equality. Yes, we do have the right to vote. Yes, we do have the right to run the country. But do you know why? Because we fought for them. We still don't get equal pay. We still don't get the upperhand. And the only way to make that happen is to continue to rally for equality on all ends of the spectrum. We cannot just become sitting ducks and let this continue to happen. Yes, it is 2011... you're right... but instead of asking everyone else why they continue to support equality, maybe you should ask yourself why you've become so resigned to what is given to you. There are still women out in the world who are forced into marriage, prostitution, labor. Our sisters have their bodies mutilated and exploited. They have no choice of freedom. No options for education or escape. Did you know that women still only earn 77 cents on the male dollar? I've seen lady hate live in blogs, I've seen it in schools, I've seen it in work places. Fits of jealousy, snark, and all around just ugly attitudes. We need to focus on building each other up! Not tearing each other down! Be it a "You Go Girl!" (Community reference, anyone?!), a kind email to your favorite blogger or professor, a little note of gratitude left in a public place... we need to focus our energies on empowering each other. We are a force to be reckoned with!


Feminist is not a four-letter word. It's not dirty. It's not radical. It's merely the collective voice of females who are ready to step up to the plate and be a team player. Men are not the enemy! It's so easy to get wrapped up in thinking men are the sole reason that we're still where we are today. Sure, some can be sexist. Some can be jerks. But some can also be incredibly kind and compassionate. They can be uplifting. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. Sexist thoughts and gender discrimination are not solely restricted to the minds of men. So rather than getting envious when you see a gal donning a fierce pair of shoes, tell her you think they're awesome, and build her up! Be classy and tactful always! 


IWD is also a great day to celebrate the women that inspire you! I won my trip to NYC based on my nomination of Ellen Degeneres for the most iconic woman of the decade, and I stand by that thought! I think Ellen has such an amazingly contagious spirit and she's full of positivity. She builds people up, and makes them smile and laugh. She's not only a wonderful ambassador of equal rights for the LBGT community, but she's also a great example of an inspiring woman who won't let anything stand in her way.


So I want to know... Who is the most inspiring woman to you and why?!


I can't wait to share more from the Levi's/Vogue IWD Celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...